HEAD OF SCHOOL POSITION
HERITAGE SCHOOL is seeking a qualified and spiritually mature Christian educator clearly responding to God’s call to lead the school to the next level of excellence. The individual will have a demonstrated record of successful leadership, a passion for classical and Christ-centered education, as well as an uncompromising heart for Christ. It is the desire of Heritage School to appoint a Head of School no later than June 1, 2023.
As the C.E.O. of Heritage, the Head of School is responsible for providing executive oversight for all daily operations and is the primary supervisor for the senior leadership team. Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, the Head of School helps to shape and direct educational policy, along with cultivating lasting relationships with the students, parents, faculty/staff, and the local community.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE HEAD OF SCHOOL INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Developing a clear strategic vision focused on the Heritage School Mission and Portrait of a Graduate
• Assisting with faculty professional development and performance evaluation
• Assisting with curriculum development and oversight
• Leading communications and marketing, internally and externally
• Parent, student, and donor relations
• Building out the campus with the facilities necessary to support growth and
continuously improve student learning experiences
• Financial development and oversight
• Legal compliance
• Operations and facilities management
• Strengthening the athletic and extracurricular programs, while preserving
academic rigor, and balancing these elements in educating the whole person
• Furthering the spiritual maturity of students, faculty, and administration
HISTORY OF HERITAGE SCHOOL
Heritage School, founded in 1994, grew from a dream of several parents in the Texas Hill Country who wanted a unique education for their children and any child who wanted an academically challenging and stimulating curriculum. Since truth is not doled out in parcels, they wanted all lessons in the school to be as integrated as possible. They wanted the children to see all truth as part of God’s truth. The school’s founders desired a classically oriented curriculum featuring a feast of the best literature available. They wanted lively history lessons featuring the real people who made a difference. They also wanted their children to observe and think and sketch and paint the real world around them. They wanted their children to learn the joy of beautiful art and music. They wanted exposure to other cultures and acquisition of languages to expand the horizons of the children. They wanted to develop in the children the good habits which would aid them in daily life and would build excellent character in the process. They wanted their children to be well equipped in every way to enter the adult world and to serve God and their fellow man. In short, they wanted excellence in education. The Heritage School founders desired a Christ-centered education.
Heritage School is now, and always will be, committed to developing every student’s spiritual, intellectual, and physical excellence as well as establishing the ability to develop loving, charitable relationships with fellow students and teachers. We encourage high standards in both excellent work and character habits. In all academic endeavors, we encourage each student’s love for learning, which we trust will remain strong throughout life. We encourage and model service to each other and to the community. Our prayer is that Heritage School students will always be committed to achieving excellence, not of themselves or of their own accomplishments, but to achieve excellence through Christ to glorify God alone.
Heritage School provides a distinctive, classical, Christ-centered education that prepares students for servant leadership and lives that glorify God.
PORTRAIT OF HERITAGE SCHOOL GRADUATE
Graduates of Heritage School strive to:
• Exemplify Christ
• Think critically, speak articulately, and write effectively
• Pursue learning
STATEMENT OF BELIEF
The following are the essential beliefs on which Heritage School is based. They are also
the key elements of Christianity that will be taught unapologetically in various ways
through all grade levels. The substance of these statements constitutes the primary
doctrine at Heritage School.
• We believe in the verbal, plenary inspiration of both the Old and New Testaments, i.e., that the very words of the original Scriptures are infallible and inerrant and that they are our final and absolute authority in every area of life and knowledge.
• We believe in one God, eternally existing in three co-equal persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
• We believe that Jesus Christ was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, and that He is both undiminished deity and genuine humanity in one person forever.
• We believe that God, the Holy Spirit, is a personal being who convicts the world of sin and who regenerates, indwells, empowers, guides, gifts, and seals believers for God.
• We believe that man was created by a direct act of God in His image, not from previously existing life; that all men sinned in Adam (the historical father of the entire human race) and thus incurred both physical and spiritual death; and that all men have inherited a sin nature.
• We believe that Jesus Christ died as a substitutionary sacrifice for our sins and that through faith in Him as Lord and Savior, we are declared righteous by God.
• We believe that salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, totally apart from human merit, and that the experience of regeneration produces a new creature in Christ.
• We believe that faith without works is dead.
• We believe that Jesus Christ rose from the dead - physically and bodily - and that He ascended in like form into heaven, where He continually ministers as our Great High Priest and Advocate.
• We believe in the literal, visible, bodily return of Jesus Christ to this earth.
• We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, the everlasting
blessedness of the saved, and the everlasting punishment of the lost.
• We believe in the spiritual unity of all believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
• We believe that all believers are under the mandate of Jesus Christ to proclaim the
Gospel to the entire world.
PHILOSOPHY OF EDUCATION
The goal of Heritage School is the development of physical, spiritual, moral, and intellectual maturity for every student. The Heritage student is ideally marked by a growing faith, an intellectual acuity, an aesthetic sensitivity, a discerning spirit, and strong moral character.
Heritage School bases its educational philosophy on the biblical worldview which looks at knowledge, the world, and the whole of life using the Bible as the foundation and guide for thought and action. Given this Christian worldview, we believe that education can most effectively be accomplished in an environment which recognizes that all truth is God’s truth. In the curriculum, an emphasis is placed on the unity of all truth and on the development of the eternal perspective which naturally follows.
Scripture clearly teaches that parents are responsible for their children’s education and discipline. The school is not a substitute for the home but is an extension of the home and one means through which parents fulfill the responsibility the Lord has given them. Heritage School recognizes that among students of the same age there is marked variability in learning aptitude. Heritage School will strive to allow each child to be duly challenged while requiring the mastery of certain skills and the acquisition of specified content appropriate for each grade level.
Further, Heritage School will provide a nurturing, orderly atmosphere that is conducive to learning. Through its curriculum, as well as through its capable and enthusiastic teachers, Heritage School will encourage every student to develop a love for learning and live up to his/her academic potential.
In all its levels, programs, and teaching, Heritage School seeks to:
• Encourage every student to begin and develop a relationship with God, the Father, through Jesus Christ. • Teach all subjects as parts of an integrated whole with Scripture at the center.
• Supplement parents’ training of their children toward godly character by providing a clear model of the biblical Christian life through our staff and board.
Heritage School’s educational approach views children as “whole persons” made in God’s image, capable of thinking well. Heritage emphasizes the formation of good habits, creates learning opportunities with “living books” and living ideas which helps to stimulate the natural curiosity of a child. The Grammar School also uses techniques such as narration, picture study, and nature study
FACULTY AND STAFF
The faculty of Heritage School is one of the finest of schools in the southwest Texas region. The quality and dedication of the entire faculty and staff is remarkable. The most important emphasis of the mission-minded faculty and Board is developing young people who are focused on Christ-centered, life-long learning at the highest levels.
Heritage School’s requirements are in many ways much more stringent than those required by public or even other private schools. All teachers and staff are required to have impeccable character, be role models in the community, be active members of a church, and profess their Christian faith openly and in writing prior to being considered for a position at Heritage.
Heritage seeks degreed, certified teachers with 5-10 years of experience teaching in their area of expertise. The current faculty at Heritage averages 18+ years of experience with every faculty member possessing a Bachelor’s degree, at a minimum. More than 60% of the members of our current faculty have achieved advanced degrees. Although Heritage does consider certifications along with all other experience, certification is not a requirement, because state certification is not always the best "test" of a teacher's dedication, knowledge, and desire to continue professional development and learning. However, the majority of our teachers do have at least one certification, and some teachers have multiple certifications.
In 2007, Heritage School was blessed with the purchase of a 38-acre campus overlooking surrounding pastures and hills. In 2009, a long-term vision came to fruition with the building of a beautiful, modern Texas Hill Country inspired, permanent building dedicated as David Herzog Hall, currently housing 6 th through 12th grades. The building contains nine classrooms, a science facility, an art and music studio, a library, and our administrative offices. The current campus also includes Grammar School Village which houses Kindergarten through 5th grades, Grammar art and music, raised gardens for the study of nature, and a well-equipped playground. Our athletic facilities include the Neel Center (a multipurpose gymnasium and event facility with locker rooms and offices), a football practice field, Tim Shipman Field (a six-man competition football facility) a nature walking trail, the Lion’s Den (a conditioning and training facility), and multiple track and field practice areas.
Heritage has a long-term vision for the campus as evident in the Campus Master Plan which includes additional academic buildings and classrooms, a soccer field, tennis courts, a garden for the study of nature, and our own chapel.
With a headmaster and only three teachers, the school opened that first day with twenty-nine students, pioneers in a new “territory,” a new educational endeavor. Since that first day, the school has expanded to PreK—12th grades and has been blessed with enrollment ranging from 150 to nearly 200 students. Our graduates have been accepted to the colleges and universities of their choice; many have received generous scholarships as well as appointments to service academies.
It was a small group of parents who began to build the Heritage dream; it is a larger group of parents who now help that dream to grow and prosper, but the original vision has prevailed. Heritage School will never lose sight of that original vision. That is why the future is so bright.
Today, the opportunity exists for the new Head of School, in partnership with the Board, faculty and staff, parents and students, donors, and the community at large, to elevate Heritage School to the next level of excellence. Within the vision for the near future, we foresee increased enrollment, a forward-funding tuition assistance fund, increased budget, and the establishment of an endowment that has the ability to perpetuate the legacy of Heritage School for generations to come. It is our prayer that God will continue to bless and mold Heritage School as it grows and that His hand will guide and direct us as we look to the future.
As a classical and Christ-centered school, we have the following affiliations with other schools or organizations across the country:
Heritage School is fully accredited without reservation or restriction through the internationally recognized Cognia. For further information, please see the www.cognia.org
SCL (Society for Classical Learning)
Heritage School is a member of The Society for Classical Learning. For further information, please see the SCL website: www.societyforclassicallearning.org.
ACCS (Association of Classical Christian Schools)
Heritage School is a member of the Association of Classical and Christian Schools. For further information, please see the ACCS website: www.accsedu.org.
ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International)
Heritage School is a long-time member of the Association of Christian Schools International. For further information, please see the ACSI website: www.acsi.org
Independent School Management (ISM)
Strengthens private-independent schools by empowering school leaders who have dedicated their lives to helping children succeed. www.isminc.com
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS OF THE NEW HEAD OF SCHOOL
The successful candidate will be expected to understand and embrace the Mission Statement of Heritage School, our Statement of Belief and Portrait of the Graduate, and have a demonstrated commitment to the classical, Christ-centered school model upon which the school was established. As an educator and leader that loves learning and pursuing knowledge, the successful candidate will be:
• A committed, unwavering Christian, spiritually mature, steeped in moral purpose, moral clarity, moral conviction, and integrity, supremely ethical, with a life that is personally dedicated to our Lord Jesus Christ;
• Humble, self-confident, not self-righteous;
• Perceptive, a good listener;
• Diplomatic, discerning; respectful of others;
• Approachable, visible, accessible to all levels of constituencies;
• Visionary with the ability to bring the vision to fruition;
• Charismatic, a leader by personal example;
• Adept at communicating at all levels with all constituencies, an effective orator;
• Supportive, caring, fair, a builder of trust and strong relationships;
• Objective, a peacemaker, able to resolve conflict in a godly manner according to the principles of Matthew 18;
• Versatile, adaptable to changing situations and circumstances;
• Consistent, can be relied upon for consistency in responses and decisions for both “positive” and “difficult” situations;
• Decisive yet just, a problem solver;
• Dedicated to life-long learning.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE
• An appropriate advanced degree from a credible academic institution. A masters or doctorate in a field appropriate to lead a classical Christian school is preferred.
• Demonstrated the ability to lead by example and mentor;
• Demonstrated a history of godly relationships;
• Demonstrated the ability to be a servant leader;
• An inspired commitment to the Mission Statement, Philosophy, Portrait of the Graduate, and Statement of Belief of Heritage School;
• Demonstrated the ability to be viewed by all constituents as a moral exemplar, the epitome of Christian principles, and the Heritage culture, and neither embarrassed nor intimidated by this expectation;
• Demonstrated experience and skill in managing and leading the process of faculty/employee-culture enhancement, compensation, and professional development by monitoring, evaluating, building, inspiring;
• Demonstrated experience and skill in managing and leading teachers/employees toward a focus on both the highest expectations of, and the highest levels of support for students resulting in the desire for continuous personal and professional development;
• Demonstrated the ability to lead, mentor, and develop faculty and staff/employees in team building, inspiring and rewarding team effort and team accomplishment;
• Demonstrated the ability to partner with all constituencies, equally;
• Demonstrated ability in all aspects of internal and external marketing to all constituencies;
• Demonstrated fundraising ability;
• Demonstrated the ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing, and positively inspire and persuade others;
• Demonstrated the ability to attend to, and build , the quantity and quality of mission-specific excellent communication tools necessary to keep all constituents thoroughly and positively informed of school activities and accomplishments;
• Demonstrated the ability to develop clear curriculum goals that are mission specific for each level and each subject, in all aspects of the classical-Christian world view model of curriculum;
• Demonstrated ability to understand and support the accreditation process;
• Demonstrated the ability to develop a vision and successfully implement a strategic plan;
• Demonstrated business acumen in the oversight of the daily operations of the school; the ability to lead the school in fiscal and legal compliance, and ensure policy development and implementation based upon Christian principles;
• Demonstrated computer literacy;
• Demonstrated the ability to manage multiple projects and tasks to successful completion, to work within established priorities, and meet scheduled deadlines.
This position includes a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
ABOUT FREDERICKSBURG, TEXAS
Fredericksburg, Texas is an idyllic, historic town located in the beautiful Hill Country of central Texas known for its clean air, scenic roads, and strong family values. Families, entrepreneurs, artists, physicians, and individuals looking for a life free from the stress of a big city establish themselves in Fredericksburg, Texas and never look back! Fredericksburg is located within an hour’s time and easy interstate access to both San Antonio and Austin. For complete information regarding the wonderful history, German culture, and many opportunities available in Fredericksburg, Texas, visit the official Chamber of Commerce website: http://www.fredericksburg-texas.com/
Send resume’ to: firstname.lastname@example.org
QUALITIES OF A HERITAGE SCHOOL STAFF MEMBER
Strong moral character, devotion to God, a calling from God to love and teach young people, and a passion for life-long learning...that's the Heritage Faculty!
Heritage School’s requirements for faculty are in many ways more stringent than those required by other schools. All teachers and staff are required to be of impeccable character, role models in the community, and active members of a church with the ability to profess their Christian faith openly and in writing prior to being considered for a position at Heritage. All employees at Heritage School are expected to fully embrace and support the Statement of Belief.
Applicants for teaching positions at Heritage School will possess both experience teaching and a Bachelor's degree, preferably in the subject matter for which they are applying. An advanced degree and state teaching certification(s) are definitely a plus.
THOSE WISHING TO APPLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO FOLLOW THE STEPS BELOW:
Send resume or for more information, please contact Teresa Basse at email@example.com or call Heritage School, 830-997-6597.
CONTACT INFORMATION AND THE APPLICANT PROCESS
Step 1: Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume. Please email, fax, or mail the above to the contact information listed below (email is preferred):
310 Smokehouse Road Fredericksburg, TX 78624
Step 2: After review of your resume, you may be contacted with a request to submit an official application.
Step 3: Upon receipt of a completed application and required forms, selected applicants will be contacted for a tour and interview.
Heritage School is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding employees through a compensation plan that compares favorably with those of regional peer schools. Personal professional development and membership in national professional organizations are priorities for all faculty. All employees (who make over $5,000 per year and have worked at the school for two years) may make contributions to the school’s SIMPLE retirement plan and receive a 3% employer match. A generous paid holiday and leave package is provided to all full-time employees; full-time administrative staff also receive paid vacation time. Heritage School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To ensure that our faculty is continuing their skills and philosophy within the scope of our mission, Heritage has a strong plan for professional growth. It includes in-state and out-of-state training opportunities as well as attendance at national conferences such as SCL [Society for Classical Learning] and/or ACCS [Association of Classical Christian Schools].
December: Early announcement of potential openings
January: Accepting letters of inquiry & resume/CV
February: Openings formally posted on Heritage website
February/March: Application sent to selected candidates
March/April: Interviews, tours with selected candidates
April/May: Finalize the next year’s Faculty
INFORMATION ABOUT FREDERICKSBURG
The city of Fredericksburg is an unhurried, artistic town rich in culture and natural beauty. Fredericksburg, Texas was established by German immigrants with foundations based on belief in God, patriotism, family and the importance of a strong education.
Fredericksburg Chamber of Commerce: http://www.fredericksburg-texas.com/
Fredericksburg is located 90 minutes from Austin [“Live Music Capital of the World”] and an hour away from beautiful San Antonio, the Alamo city.